Monday, April 9, 2012

layers of me


I chose to represent myself in a series of layers using my body as an outline and filling each image in with colors and symbols that are important and/or prevalent in my life.

Part of this project is to explore the contradictory layers of myself:
Being read as both gay and straight (or sometimes male and female) in the same day depending on my surroundings. Feeling full and empty in the same moment. Blending in or standing out against the background. Wanting to be seen and wanting to be invisible. Loud and quiet. Feeling like I am who I have always wanted to be while knowing that I can never be that person.

It's about context and content. Juxtaposition and negative space. Private and public.
Flat layers coming together to create a rounded-out person.
Dichotomies overlapping to describe someone who lives in the in-between spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment