Monday, February 13, 2012

My Identity

When we were asked to create something about our culture that related to our identity I was unsure exactly what to create. But I decided I wanted to create a collage. I am the first in my family to graduate from college let alone go to graduate school so I don't really fit into the mold. I am really bad at sewing but I decided to use sewing in my piece to tie in the sort of mothering aspect of my family background. Every woman in my family ended up learning trade tools like sewing and cooking. Tools that are seen as things a woman would do more than a man back in the day. My mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother were taught that their role in life was to cook, clean, sew, and take care of their husband and children. They were not meant to go farther in their learning than high school or work outside the home once married. I am trying to explore the types of jobs I 'should' be doing that my grandma and great-grandma were expected to do. I try to incorporate sewing into my art. I like to learn cooking from my mom even though I hate cooking and I like to learn things like crocheting from my grandma. It's interesting to learn things about my family. Art therapy is way out there for my family. I'm sort of looked at as the oddity when it comes to job choices especially being a woman and where the women in my family come from. But I'm okay with that.

3 comments:

  1. I'm and the odd one among my family, plus my friends. I'm not married, have no kids,(yet no jobs--technically), and a student! But I think that made the difference here I am and now. I'm sure you know R. Frost's 'The Road not Taken.' The difference you made for yourself will make all the difference. That's what I believe myself and you should too!!! :)

    The Road Not Taken

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I marked the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a great article situating this core female arts with an expanded feminst practice. Also if you don't know these artists, they each have made huge contributions to history of art. I was especially interested in Judy Chicago because she was creating installation, collaboration, emactments, performance way before it was in fashion. Also the womanhouse artists influenced my early video work that examined notions of femininity, that I wanted to deconstruct and also embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/eascfa/dinner_party/womens_work.php

    ReplyDelete