Monday, March 12, 2012

Women In The Media

Is this really what women do in jeans? If so, I guess I am way out of the loop. This is an ad for Calvin Klein jeans and the idea behind it, I am still not sure. If laying half naked with water splashing up on you sells jeans, than this is new to me. There are so many things wrong with this image I do not even know where to start. Maybe the fact that they are half naked, or that they are smaller than a size zero, or the fact that they are in a sexualized pose. This is just one of many ads I came across in a magazine that hyper sexualize women as well as objectify them. I found this image in response to what Erika had brought up in class about women in the media.

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this response Jordan! I must admit that it is still very hard for me to have any strong opinion of ads containing images like this. Although I agree with what you said about it, there is one side of me that has be cemented to the fantasy of being like one of these women: skinny, colorful, sexy, etc. I won't always say this out loud because many people feel the way you do. However, I know the media has done its job in creating visuals to ingrain in young females' minds what an attractive woman should look like. Hm, what a complex topic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete