Monday, February 20, 2012

Elizabeth & Kurt

This weekend I watched a lot of Glee. I also read Elizabeth and Hazel. In both I was saddened by the hatred and inequality both historically and in the present.

Reflecting on many of the past posts, I agree with Chance, that the images in the reading hit me the hardest. Along with the in depth account of Elizabeth walking to the school, alone and unaware. Turned away. I almost wanted to stop reading, wondering how on earth she wanted to go back there. As for Glee - I was watching the past season 2 in which Kurt is bullied for being the only openly gay individual at the school. Daily he had to stand up to hate. Yes this is a television show, but this also happens all the time. High school is tough time in everyone's life, but to have to deal with hatred and racism, sexism, and bullying would change one's life forever. Kurt left the school to attend an all male private school... As for Elizabeth, I am not far enough along in the reading to see how long she withstands the acts of racism (and can't wait to find the answer).

Throughout my school years there was only one African American in my class. Always the only one, kindergarden through high school. How it must have felt to be her, I wish I knew. Reading about Elizabeth and the "nine" I kept thinking of my classmate. There were also two girls that had a close relationship that I recall everyone else stating that they were together and making fun of them for "supposedly" being bisexual. It was such a small school that if you were "different" you stuck out even more. The topic of everyone else's gossip. I haven't thought so much lately of my rural, White, hometown & upbringing until this reading.

As Jessica was also mentioning, there are still so many inequalities today. The fact that not everyone has the right to marry who they wish is disheartening. It makes me question if I want to get married, I've had the thought that until everyone else can, I don't want to. Not that my own decision would make any sort of statement, but I hope that one day we all can marry who we love.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you brought up Glee! Although this show is fun, silly, and sometimes annoying (I think) it's reference raises a good point. It is so easy to look at these black and white photographs of Elizabeth and Hazel and tell ourselves that our society has grown and changed so much since "back then." Like you said in your post, this bullying, ignorance, and discrimination still goes on today. We are so surrounded by inequalities that they are even highlighted on our most popular tv shows. It is my hope that this attention brings awareness and education to these inequalities rather than making them so commonplace in our society that they become forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced something very similar at my high school- only one black girl. We were an all-girl, private, catholic high school (vests, plaid skirts, knee-high socks, pennyloafers, and all). One thing I always remember about being in a private school is that they did anything they could to hold her self-image. I always wondered why all 5 girls that got pregnant throughout my 4 years there just "so happened" to "want" to leave the school for whatever reason they could make up. In reality, they were asked to leave. Does this mean a pregnant 17 year-old doesn't have the right to be a proud student at a private, catholic high school? I often wondered why there was only one black girl.... could it be that racism still exists within all cultures or especially the Hispanic culture? Does religion tie into the decisions made at these types of schools?

    ReplyDelete