Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kissing Can't Kill

This poster was on the side of a bus. It took up almost the entire side of it. It was really refreshing to see this poster. It covers so many different areas in terms of culture, race, and gender. And though it seems extremely obvious what point it's trying to get across, I think it shows so many things. So many people especially in older generations  seem to be against different races dating or same sex relationships. My grandmother on my dad's side will probably disapprove, and possibly disown me as her granddaughter, when she finds out that my boyfriend is half Hispanic and his first language is Spanish. It would be even worse if I were bisexual or lesbian. I used to care what my grandmother thought, but now it doesn't matter to me anymore. I am going to date whoever I want and fall in love with whoever I fall in love with and it won't be based on the color of their skin or where they are from. And I don't care who approves. Some people would be appalled by this poster, but I am blown away by the rawness of it. I kind of wish their were different words with it though. Like: "Kissing doesn't kill, but ignorance might."

4 comments:

  1. initial reaction: what a cute poster! it's nice that it brings up a lot of taboo topics about interracial and same-sex relationships in such an in-your-face kind of way, but i wonder about the words also. greed? who's greedy?

    so i looked it up: http://www.creativetime.org/programs/archive/1989/Kissing/Kissing.htm

    it's an art campaign to promote awareness about AIDS and the ideas/issues/bodies surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for looking it up chance! how on earth did you find it? anyways that's good to know the origin of the poster. but I still don't exactly get the greedy part...do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry Chantal that your grandmother would feel this way. My own grandmother (my dad's mother) heavily disproved my dad marrying my mom and blamed her for my poor English as a child. Even though you don't care what your grandmother thinks anymore, and you shouldn't, it's still sad that it has to be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe greed refers to the media and government gain through limiting and manipulating things. It's easy to have a scapegoat to ignore larger problems and issues that would take more costs than an easy fix. This was made in 1989 after all.

    ReplyDelete