Monday, February 20, 2012

Growing up in Greensboro, North Carolina, I was taught year after year in school about the Sit-In Movement that began in my town in in 1960. Four African American college students refused to leave the "whites-only" lunch counter at Woolworth's until they were served, sparking groups of students to participate in similar sit ins throughout North Carolina and neighboring states. Nearly 6 months after the first protests the entire Woolworth's chain of stores was desegregated.


I feel as though I can recite that story by heart because I have heard it so many times. Due to it's over use in our particular school system, I have grown a bit tired of this story, and here I am writing about it again. Although it's inspirational value was wearing thin, in a new city I can see it in a new light. Moving to Chicago several people have recognized my hometown based off of the sit-in movement. Being able to identify myself and my hometown with this movement  has made me extremely proud. It is one of Greensboro's proudest moments as we became a shining beacon of social justice in the sea of ignorance and racism found throughout the south.

In school the story was often used to inspire us to take a stand for what we feel is right and to change the course of history for the better. This is the side of history that Elizabeth is on, the side that uplifts us, the side of struggle, courage, and justice. The other side of history, the one Hazel is on, was rarely discussed in my schools. The dark side of history filled with ignorance and hatred is the side of history that makes me, as a white person, feel ashamed and uncomfortable.

It is hard to see these sides until enough time has passed and enough distance is granted for us to look back and see the mistakes we've made. Hazel has spent a lifetime doing this. What if in schools we taught children to look at the mistakes they are making right now instead of having to wait 30 years into their life to realize them? What if we asked children, and ourselves, what side of history we are on right now? We are all contributing to history on a daily basis whether we like it or not and it is essential that we recognize the importance that even our smallest actions carry. Deciding what side of history to be on starts today. That is what I am taking away from this book most of all. 


-Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment