Wednesday, February 22, 2012

self/other

It is hard for me to decide on an entree on a menu, I always want to try something new, I never buy the same mustard twice, I have not tried lavender honey mustard yet, I say to myself, the perfect consumer of difference, that I am. At the same time let's examine how I embrace change to create stability? What do I loose in constantly changing, adapting, where my mutability is now, a default. It takes some individuals years to change, or they may never, for me, I change in a second. What is my identity? If I constantly deflect, slip, mutate, and where is that coming from, a desire not to stand still? Most of you know I question my own need to question, but now I accept mutability. I actually think I dance with pondering, the question mark is a symbol of infinity, an image I trust, it's a partner that is always vibrating. I think of the self as an aggregate of other selves, flows, histories, narratives, and stories. I always say I am never the same person twice, and I say the sky is free, so if nature is constantly changing, and the sky is never the same twice, then shouldn't I? I ask myself to be as graceful as clouds changing colors, sometimes it happens and other times, it's the shift in our voice, when we say something that is a dig, and it unearths something, we feel our voice shatter, it's maybe not as graceful, but it's authentic being, awkwardness, failure can be beautiful.


This is the place I from which I look and speak from, the shattered mirror. I like broken things, I can trust them, they have already won, they tried and failed and broke, I know they could break more, and then turn into dust, like all living things, I trust this entropy. I like looking at broken things, I see the facets of everything else reflected in it. Sometimes I meet someone, and I look in their eyes, and I can see all the selves they represent, sometimes it's so powerful that I wonder how we can ever even keep a gaze. They say there is a kingdom in Indra where there sits a strand of pearls so arranged, you can see all other reflected in it. So I love this kind of reflected self, or diffracted meaning, or living fractal. I made a series of videos about my identity this week, but my videos also represent my struggle with self and other. There have been these struggles in my personal life, what a funny phrase, I consider everything personal. But I saw the way I had mutated for a great love, while I usually contemplate loss and intimacy, I found myself stuck on repeat for the last couple years, who was I now?



Who was I, when I felt completed by this great love, would I still carry that honor of another body, around with me of it, would that memory transform, as I futilely, try to hold it in my hands? At the same time, it was a story I constantly had to re-tell, re write, it became a pathology,a dn many works in my practice where made to address this very simple ask, which was who am I now? If I only saw the tragedy, loss and pain, of the not a happy ending, tragic break, in this relationship then I would suffer enjoy pain, and play my pain tapes on repeat. I would cover my walls with these wounds, which I did, but I still couldn't press play? I loved rewinding, and fast forwarding, and of course recording, 348 videos on youtube stand for this daily practice with my loss and intimacy. The other option was I had to re write the narrative, to keep from sinking further into a widows dance, I had to find the lesson I the event, I had to see the gift in the parting. I looked at the way the lyrics of a song said "you look like me" to a lover, then said "and I look like no one else" it was profound to me, to think of how I had seen parts of my self in this other lover, so much so, that the conversation of a love assemblage, or a break really became a desire to examine my own consciousness, my own being/being raised in this other. In other words it was my "self" or selves, I desired to know, love, honor, adore, why did I use a person to find this out? To find the "i'm the one, I am looking for" part of it all, to know when I hold my body at night in my bed the way I used to reach for that other body, that I am complete. Sure there at times I shudder and ask what happened, but I get to keep this embrace of my body, and find new ways to exercise this new loving dimension of my being, most of all I am learning to press play, maybe I will find myself just sticking with gray poupon for a few years, I like the way I have segued from self-flexivity and mustard, and perhaps why my choice of yellow wigs signifies mustard, or the fact that I have covered my body in mustard, (it stings) for a performance all these ideas< I will examine later

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the way you made these videos to relate to our cultural disruptions blog. In a way, you can find metaphors in everything. It made me think about how there are so many layers to a person. We can sit on repeat for years of our lives, staying the same person, adding more layers of... anything really. Layers of identity, of shame, of purpose, of decisions, of clothing, of masks, of fears. How many layers do we uncover ourselves in our own lives? How many layers will we uncover in our clients' lives? Are some layers so thin that they are invisible even to the person who wears them?

    ReplyDelete