Saturday, February 18, 2012

Identity & Culture


My identity is constantly influenced, shaped, formed and framed by my culture. I decided on a tissue paper collage specifically for the process of layering. Both my identity and culture have been formed in layers from both my personal past experiences and my families history. There are aspects of myself visibly on the surface as well as hidden underneath layers of history. For me, the shape of a circle represents unity and mobility. Without my culture my identity would not exist, yet they are fluid aspects of myself that shift and change depending on time and place.

-Laura

4 comments:

  1. Laura, I really like your collage because it reminds me of childhood (and that might be because I used to work at the Eric Carle (of Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar fame) Museum of Picture Book Art). I bring that up because I think it's fascinating how we continue to layer onto our identities which we first formed as children, before culture and society really took ahold of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I really like your writing. It feels like artist's statement! I mean a strong statement. I like how I can see you through the circle, because, in a way, it represents how one sees the another--through the guided perspective--and not seeing all. I wonder about knowing you behind the circle!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered animating these images, on I movie perhaps as a way to further embody these pieces, ideas, collages. I love seeing you peek through the hole, there is this childlike wonder which I really love about all your work. Also I would be happy to show you how to edit on I movie too.

    ReplyDelete