Monday, February 20, 2012


I am ashamed to say that I grew up in a predominately white school and didn’t really realize what race was until about the second grade. And when I say predominately white. I actually mean it was literally 100% nothing but Caucasian children and teachers until I was in second grade. Then we got a new student. He and his brother were adopted by one of the office aides and they were African American. Until then I had never noticed that our entire school was made up of white people.
            My school was tiny and in the middle of nowhere in Shelbyville, IN. It had about 500 students from kindergarten to 12th grade. I went to the same school my entire life and those two boys were always the only two African Americans in our school. One of the boys was in my grade and his brother was three grades above us. Our school was very small and accepting so Anthony didn’t really have too much trouble fitting in. There are always bullies for one reason or another, but if it’s not skin color they find something else. Still I can’t imagine being the only kid in the entire school who is of a different race. I never really thought about it when I was a kid though. Race wasn’t really on my mind; he was just another kid.
            Going to undergrad was a huge culture shock though. I was more the minority there. The African American and Chinese population seemed to outweigh the Caucasian population. It was interesting to finally see that there was more than just white after growing up in such a secluded area.
            Elizabeth and Hazel reminded me of my tiny school. It’s sad that my school still exists and it’s not that different from Central. It may not have the extreme Racism but I still don’t get how it still has such a huge white population. It’s still about 98% white. I don’t remember how many students go to white but only adding nine African American students can’t really be called ‘integrating’ in my opinion.
            The emotions in Elizabeth and Hazel are so raw and would be so difficult to deal with. I can’t imagine being one of those African American students being brave enough to go to Central in the first place and then being strong enough to stay and deal with all the abuse.

2 comments:

  1. I too cannot imagine being one of the nine and being strong enough to face all the abuse. Being White is not the only thing that shields you from this abuse. I grew up in a city that harassed earlier generations in my family, but with time has made me the majority. I did not grow up in a predominantly White school and Miami-Dade County has one of the largest school districts in the country, so I did not go to a school with that few of students, or the same school my whole life. In fact, I looked up the demographics of my high school and it was only 30% White and 70% minority (and this was a magnet art school, students came from across the city, this was not just the demographic of the neighborhood). That being said, it is also 55% Hispanic, which put me in a similar situation to yours. Although my school is seen as diverse, and I was a "minority," I have always been in the majority. I can't say I ever had an experience growing up where I did not feel that I couldn't fit in because of my race/culture. My American friends were so immersed in the culture that surrounds Miami, that I personally never had to explain anything to them. For me going to college was a culture shock in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine being one like that in a situation of abuse.
    It is different BUT
    I remember how much I hated to go back to the dorms after I stayed at my aunt's house--walking the hallway of the dorms and I was the only Asian girl there (Other Asian kids were immigrants).
    I remember nobody wanted to sit with me at dinner tables and they would stop talking after I sat on the table. And knocking of the door whenever they passed my room...Sometime giggling after I spoke( this must be why I hate seeing people giggling after/while other people are talking...well, that is un-respectable thing to do anyways...)

    My experience is a different one from the book though, because I don't think I felt the hatred from them or encountered such moments like in the book. But I knew what it felt and meant being 'different'.

    By the way, Chantel-- don't feel the shame... I had one African American classmate back in high school and my school was from PK too. I noticed that he had his own group of friends outside of school and hung out with them. He did spend time with white kids too-in fact, he had many friends because he was good at basketball, however, he didn't seem enjoying much with white kids. At some point, I thought that was the point where it can get close together. African Americans definite have their own league, clubs, structure whatever they call it. For me, White Caucasian or African American do not make big difference in speaking of races. Or other races too.

    Also, speaking of kids and races--they usually don't mind ( or have a clear idea) about races but see the visual differences (from skin)--that's what I thought. What do you think? I think you might know better than I do.

    I should stop commenting-- more I read posts--I am writing--I find things to say from my past.... it's to share but I feel like I'm talking too much here... :)

    ReplyDelete