Sunday, February 26, 2012

How do we want to be remembered?

I was really struck by Elizabeth's line, as quoted to Linda Monk, "There's more to me than one moment" (p. 193). Monk was someone who had empathy for Hazel and as I read the things Hazel did as she grew up, I also felt some empathy for her. Nonetheless, it does not make her wrongs into rights, and that is something so important to remember, especially as young people who are in the position to make a difference for social justice. Political commentator, Rachel Maddow, spoke at my commencement and her advice to us still inspires me today. She urged us to think beyond personal victories and to do things that not only will make us proud today but that will make us proud 10, 20, 30 years from now. Hazel's story can be a word of caution to all of us. We have all done (or not done) things that we are not proud of and we cannot change that, but we can move through our lives with the intention of creating social victories, and not just ones for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment