Sunday, February 26, 2012

Nation, History and individuals

 

While I was reading the article called, The Affective Turn, I could not help myself thinking about my nation's history. The Japanese colonization was a cruel period, and the Korean war was somewhat inevitable consequence of that time.

Americans---the sodiers and missionaries, black market from U.S. camp and Yankee brides.... Korea was a poor country after collapse of Chosun dynasty through Japanese colonial period to the Korean war. This was a time that there was no food, but hunger and tear. These years between 1900s to 50s were  the most hurtful period of time for the nation's history in every level. Though I never learned Korean history at school or never experienced anything related to this subject matter directly, these are something that I learned/knew naturally, because of my background.

"We(Americans) dumped food that we don't want to eat--sent to Asia, the poor regions back then and I guess Korea was one of them."--This was true. The picture of a girl with a bubble gum standing with a sodier (on far right hand) tells the story of it. There were times that children ran after the US camp-trucks to get free-foods after the Korean war.

However, when I heard this comment, I was outraged. I had reactions from the inside. Thousand words popped up in my head. Initially, I thought of saying something back, because this was an insulting sentence with a choice of words. This person was not respectful to who I was, where I was from. But, I kept words in my head at that moment with me. I kept silence, because people can be ignorant sometimes.

I do not mind people of US (or any other nation) having pride of their nations. (Tell me about French people!:)) There are facts about US. I understand the power dynamics between nations. I acknowledge and accept the dynamics, because that is a reflected reality. FTA is a good example here. However, I do not think people should transfer that power dynamics to individual level. Then it becomes an problematic term, because it evokes the politics and dominance of the individual behind the culture, society, and nation.

Also, because meaning of the words are performed, and even unrecognized, or unsaid-- meanings are transformative; thus, people should be careful with the choice of words. (-->This is something I struggle with because English is my 2nd language. I can't simply add polite form like Korean grammar has one. ) To be a culturally informed therapist, I believe that individuals should constantly cultivate oneself with varies sources and contexts about people of diversity. Learning and acknowledging  about the 'others' and 'differences'  with open mind is the first step to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment